Monday, July 28, 2008

rain rain go away... come again another day - preferably one when we are not at an outdoor concert!

The summer is half over… and time is flying! Troy’s first semester is ALMOST done! Can’t wait! Despite the fact that the summer semester is almost over, I was really beginning to think that all our usual summer activities were going to get missed this year… we hadn’t been on any of our “Sunday drives,” nor to any concerts, symphonies, the theater or even an afternoon movie… But, as I mentioned on Friday, we finally carved out some time this weekend to head to Park City/Deer Valley! Yeah!!

We went and saw the “Classical Mystery Tour” a tribute to the Beatles and it was such a blast! Our friends James and Michelle came with us (their first time going to the Symphony at Deer Valley) and they really seemed to enjoy it – which we are VERY thankful for considering that we got caught in a large thunder storm and spent half the concert getting drenched my the rain.


The pictures below don’t do it justice, but it was rather entertaining to see the ideas people had to try to shield themselves from the rain – everything from plates to chairs to programs to plastic shopping bags were on peoples heads! Some of the lucky few (us included in those few thankfully – even if our umbrella was way too small to keep anything besides our heads dry) had umbrellas but the majority of people just braved the water and tried to enjoy the concert.

(See Mom- He does this in all photos, not just when you are trying to take photos of us... Haha!)


Despite the drenched clothing, soaking blankets and slippery wet grass, we really had a great time! The concert was excellent and there were even Beatles Impersonators singing… they did a wonderful job! It was fun to hear some of the songs performed in different arrangements (some with a more orchestral feeling). Even James, who is not really a Beatles fan, enjoyed the music and learned that some songs he really likes are actually Beatles songs, so perhaps his opinion has changed a bit. By the end of the night EVERYONE was up dancing and singing along... mostly to keep warm and an attempt to dry off, I think. Haha!


And the best part (ok not really the 'best,' but I have to share it for Shelly’s benefit) - the fish sneakers handled the rain beautifully!

Can’t wait for the concert on Friday! Time for Three and the New World Symphony – should be great fun!


P.S. Heard a great story in a talk at church on Sunday – (I am paraphrasing from the way it was told, so bear with me)

There was little 3 year old boy heading off to primary, full of energy and excitement. After class he approaches his Mom looking rather sad and a bit distressed. She asks what is wrong and he says, “All my life I have wanted to be a fireman, and now Jesus wants me to be a Sunbeam!”

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh I hope the fish shoes did not get muddy!!

Janice said...

The shoes are awesome! Thanks for always making me smile.

Tina (Hickman) Ottley said...

You need to tell that boy to smile for the camera and stop being an idiot....I will tell him if you want.
Tina

jennifer said...

I figure sooner or later he will get sick of seeing his funny faces posted for all the world to see and will smile in one or two of the photos... think it will work??? Probably not! Oh well! Haha! :)

Sandy said...

The concert looks like so much fun. That is one of those times that becomes a story forever - "remember the time we got soaking wet while watching the Beatles concert..." - I love that.

Your shoes are awesome. Awesome.

Janice said...

I like Sandy's comment about the story - that is way cool -

"remember the time we got soaking wet while watching the Beatles concert..."